Friday, May 6, 2011

Walnut Creek Antiques







Stopped back at the Walnut Creek Antique Mall, one of my favorite places for old tools. They have a ton of stuff outside that is left there day and night without any theft problems. (I probably shouldn't put that on the internet) I asked the Amish owner if they trusted people that much. He said not only that, but because they are closed Sundays and are only open from 9 til 5 weekdays. They have a mail box outside that people can put their money in and leave the tag from the item they are purchasing. This might be the only antique store in America that operates this way. I was incredulous, and pressed him if there had ever been a crime in Walnut Creek (they don't have a police department). He said there was one incident in thirteen years of business. One night someone took $50 cash from the mailbox but left the tags for the items.
He said they must have needed it worse than him.
When they say they close at five, they aren't kidding. They shut off the lights and and ushered us out the door about 2 minutes till 5:00. I wasn't dissuaded I went back the next morning too early... the items I wanted were all outside but I wasn't about to leave my money in that mailbox.
The next evening at quarter to 5:00 I went back to pick up my items, I worried that they may have been stolen, as if they were already mine.

I got the antique axe, hatchet and pliers for a grand total of $15.50 for all three.

Only in America... is that great or what?

The axe has an offset head for squaring up round logs and is hand forged.

No comments:

Post a Comment